Thursday, June 18, 2009

Baby update part 2

My doctor called. He has us scheduled for Sunday morning at 9:30 which means we'll need to be there around 7:30.

It's a c-section which, in spite of my trying to emotionally prepare for the possibility, has me near tears. Don't know why. I trust my doctor completely and know it's fairly straightforward. But it's going to take longer to recover from and it's major surgery!

The reason for the c-section is that the baby is already large and so the risk for shoulder dystocia - baby's shoulder's getting stuck - is increased. Even though it's rare it is a problem that poses risks for both mom and baby the most grave risks being for the baby. These range from bruising to broken collarbones to brain damage and even death if the baby's oxygen is cut off for too long. These are really bad risks but it's also a rare thing and lots of babies who get stuck are just fine afterward. It's a scary thing though.

I know lots of people have c-sections so I feel a little silly being worried about it. It's just not something I ever thought I'd have to do and I do have a problem with people who get elective c-sections to have their babies when it's convenient for them. This isn't my case but it feels odd anyway. And am I crazy in believing that our bodies weren't built to deliver babies this way?

But on the other hand I believe in science and the miracles it has brought to us to allow for more babies to be born safely and unharmed. We aren't afterall living in the dark ages anymore.

I trust my doctor. I have a really good one. He has told me he thinks this is the best and safest bet. I'm only slightly worried about the surgery. I'm more worried about the recovery. Not only will I have a new baby to adjust to but I will also have the incision pain and my other children to take care of. I might actually have to learn how to ask for help. I'm not good at that. I like to be independent and not have people milling about me. That may be hard for me.

So my mind is a little crazy right now while I wrap it around this idea - that I'd been warned about in the first place. It'll be fine, I know that. But yes, I'm a little scared.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I have to say I agree with you...I would feel the same way in your position. I am completely ambivalent about the possibility of a C-section. I do think our bodies can deliver (safely) even biggish babies. Plus, I know size guesses via ultrasound are just that, guesses; and I'd be mad as a hornet if I delivered c-section and it turned out to be a regular sized kid. That said, how could you live with yourself if there did end up being a problem? See, if only we could know the future for sure we could make better choices! Ha, ha.

    Anyways, trust your doctor. I'm sure it will be fine. My sis-in-law just delivered (BOTH ways, one twin naturally, one c-section!) and she recovered with no trouble at all.

    Let me know if you need help. I have a few things going on next week but mostly I should be around and available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Jessica. I had a c-section with Tru and it was hard, it's something I've had a hard time with ever since because all the other babies I have (you know, over 1 lb) I'll have to have c-sections with. I hear that the recovery is better when you don't have to put labor on top of it, so there is a plus. It is painful, but after a few weeks I was feeling a lot better in the incision area. Just don't let anyone come over for a few days that will try to make you laugh, because that's the worst! I hope that everything goes smoothly! It's okay to feel sad about having to have it, but it is a huge blessing that we do live in the day and age where they can do this safely! Good luck and we will be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two c-section. One unplanned and one planned (not for convenience, for safety).

    I can tell you that the planned c-section recovery was WAY easier and I was able to keep up with my 3 1/2 year old just fine.

    I know it's a scary thought but first and foremost is the safety of your baby.

    You'll be fine. Be at peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,

    I hope it goes well. I never had one but Jaydene did both types of delivery - more than once. Linda's were all C-sections and Janean had Colin and maybe Luke C-section. I thought about it with each pregnancy because I had long drawn out never ending labors each time. The important things are your safety and the baby's safety. Everything else is the fluff that doesn;t matter - even though those details are so important to us. Your sweet baby will still be your sweet little boy and you will recover and be up and taking care of your family soon, I'm sure.

    Kathy Ballard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having had 3 c-sections (and never having delivered vaginally), I won't presume to compare the two recoveries. I will tell you that my first recovery was the toughest - because I'd been in labor for 9 hours by the time they decided to do the c-section - but I was still up and moving within a week (I remember very slowly pushing a cart at Sam's Club 5 days after I had Rhianna - yes, I'm insane, but I hate being tied down!). The other two were much easier, despite having other young children to care for. My advice is to not try to do too much too quickly (yeah, I'm a hypocrite :) ), and to remember to take your pain med (I never was in massive pain, but I remember feeling like I couldn't emotionally deal with life, and realized that I was in more pain than I thought....taking my pain med regularly helped with that - wish they had a med for postpartum hormones). Good luck - you will be fine, and your girls will be so excited to have a baby brother to tend (that poor kid will have 4 mothers!) :)

    ReplyDelete