Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Potty Training!

Well, we have entered the land of potty training again! Katherine has been showing signs of being ready for a while but I wanted to wait until we were more adjusted to Joseph’s schedule. Plus I really hate potty training! So much work and mess and tears! Does anyone out there potty train professionally? Can I hire you?!?

Okay, back to reality. Yesterday was day one. I got out the little cotton training pants and stocked up on some m&ms, donned Katherine in potty pants and a t-shirt for the day and sat her on the potty.

She took to it pretty well. She’s not afraid of the toilet. That is a first for us and really wonderful! Plus she has wiping down which was a surprise to me but then again she’s followed her sisters to the bathroom enough to know how to do it!  In fact she really had fun with that part. “More toilet paper mommy!” wipe, toss it in the toilet, and again “More!” I had to learn to hide the t.p. and distract her.

So, no toilet fear and wiping already learned I’m thinking my job is not going to be too difficult this time.

Well…haha! Getting her thinking turned around may be. She doesn’t understand “Before”. As in tell me you have to go potty “BEFORE” you wet your pants. She did not use the toilet once yesterday (was I really expecting her to?). In fact she proved to have “AFTER” down pat. …Sigh, well it was only the first day after all! So we have many wet and soiled pants still in our future. Oh well.

At least this time I have a couple willing and eager helpers! As a reward to Katherine for at least sitting on the potty (I’m not punishing soiled pants – yet) she gets a few m&ms. If her sisters help her, take her to the potty with them, show her the ropes etc. they also get m&ms. Gabby and Samantha are really excited at this chance to earn m&ms and so they have been taking her often! I’m hoping these repeated trips to the potty will make it click and she decides to just do it on her own! (is that wishful thinking?)

Well, wish us luck! May this pass quickly!! (No pun intended…or was it? o.O)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hate potty training. I think we are offically potty trained with Christian now (Thank goodness)! At least she's not as old as he is...boys are slower in my case at least. It's nice you have helpers too. Tell me how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the potty training! I'm stockpiling ideas and tips for when Sandy's ready. My mom had a candy jar and when the potty trainee went to the bathroom everyone got candy. She said it worked really well because all the older kids were constantly asking the younger kid - "Do you have to go potty?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my first child, I stopped believing in potty training. I'd rather change diapers. So my last three kids have trained themselves when they were ready. It's a beautiful thing--no candy, few accidents, no races to the bathroom at the grocery store. Expensive though.

    ReplyDelete