Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Running progress

I comment about my individual runs on the Nike website so I can mark my progress. I want to share those comments here too so I can come back and see them when I need a boost and see how far I’ve come.

September 5: (already 3 weeks into my couch to 5k program)

Feeling: so-so Weather: sunny   2.25 mi   15:31/mile

Hilly route. Went up Riverton Rd. halfway to the church house. Sun was already getting pretty hot and in my eyes for part of the time. But I did complete the C25K W3D3 workout and am happy about that!

September 8:

Feeling: so-so Weather: cloudy   2.63 mi    14:31/mi

Evening run from the church house. Felt so-so because my left leg was already sore to start with and had a pulled hamstring a little bit. Shins tired. But got through it and felt really good afterwards!

September 15:

Feeling: so-so Weather: sunny   2.22 mi     14:08/mi

this was hard both because it was a morning run and I'm still getting used to mornings and also because of the two five minute intervals. But I felt good afterwards and am happy I got up to run!

September 17:

Feeling: so-so  Weather: sunny  2.15 mi    13:56/mi

I can't wait to feel Awesome when I run! But so far it's only been so-so. But I know I'll get there. I do feel Awesome afterwards! :) Today my legs felt heavy and shins were achy. I hope it's not my shoes because I just got them!

September 19:

Feeling: Awesome!  Weather: sunny   2.21 mi   13:35/mi

Compared to how I'd been feeling before I went running I felt much better because I was running! That's awesome! Plus I beat my personal best for the mile too! Cool!

September 22:

Feeling: Awesome!   Weather: cloudy    2.39 mi   13:49/mi

I felt pretty good even though I was still sleepy from not being up for long. Was able to run my 5 minute runs all 3 of them! But it's becoming psychologically difficult. Have to move past the fear when my heart is pounding & my legs & lungs are burning.

September 29:

Feeling: awesome!   weather: sunny   2.25 mi   13:39/mi

Nice brisk morning for a run. Was to bed late last night but still got up thanks to Alan who told me it was a nice morning for a run. Did two 8 minute runs with a 5 minute walk in between. The 2nd 8 minute run was hard! 20 minute run next time.

And that was my September. I love that starting out I generally felt so-so but then changed to feeling awesome when I run. Not that it doesn’t hurt or doesn’t still scare me but I feel really great and that cancels out the fear and soreness. I also see that my first run this month is the same distance as my last one but my pace is nearly 2 minutes quicker! Of course that has a lot to do with the intervals changing but it also means I am running more than I am walking.

Bring it on October!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! Keep up the good work. I always feel pretty reluctant when I start back exercising but after a month I wonder why because I feel better about myself let alone sleep better and just generally feel good compared to how I felt at the beginning. Have fun running!

    ReplyDelete