Sunday, July 25, 2010

Vacation!!

We had our Taber beach week in July this year instead of August due to a scheduling conflict with our family having another family reunion in August (which, sadly, is not happening after all.)

Like every year we went down early on Saturday so we can have some fun on the beach before checking into the beach house.

We checked the weather before we left and it said it was going to be nice for the beach.

Look at the picture. What say you?

July 2010 002 THIS is what awaited us when we got there! It was drizzly and chilly! But we still went out and played for a little while.

July 2010 005

Our little guppy Gabby still really enjoyed the water and it took a little enforcing to get her and Samantha out when it was time to go.

But Alan, who loves the waves, thought it was just too cold! Brrr!! His ankles is about as far in as he got.

July 2010 003

Every year we have tried to meet up at the Lemon Tree for lunch with whatever families are already down there by then. The Lemon Tree is a little mom and pop sandwich and burger place in Lewes which has yummy sandwiches and great onion rings! It had become quite a tradition. This year due to different circumstances we decided that we weren’t going to do that. Well, we still had to feed our kids lunch and so we went there anyway. We ended up meeting up with Doug, Christine and Grandpa Dick who got there just a minute or two before we did. Funny how some traditions just keep going.

The rain came pretty steadily and strongly all the rest of that day. We were surprised by the weather for sure but the locals, while surprised, were very grateful for the heavy rain. They had been missing the rain at least as badly as we were in NJ. Our grass was so brown and crisp and I was hoping all that rain was making it up to our house too.

Thankfully it let up by dinnertime and I, really needing to get a training walk in, found a 5 mile long trail and got my first 10 miler done. It was a really pretty walk. I walked the Junction and Breakwater Trail which took me first through a neighborhood which I thought was a bit weird. The trail was a sidewalk right in the middle of the street, right down the middle of the neighborhood. But, once out of there, it became a nicely wooded, marshland trail complete with benches for resting at and interpretive signs so people can learn about the flora and fauna of the forest and marsh. It was really pretty and I recommend it to anyone who likes to hike and walk trails or take their families. There is a parking area down the trail so you don’t have to walk the whole trail and still get the benefits of it.

Of course I got back long after dinner – it was a 3 hour walk after all. I think I broke a cardinal rule missing a family dinner at beach week but there was no other time for me to go. I’m glad I did though. It set a precedent for me to keep getting my training walks in all week – although I did them in the morning before breakfast or after dinner. And I felt really good having gone and had all kinds of energy for playing that week.

No comments:

Post a Comment