Saturday, January 3, 2009

On the Run Again

A year ago, almost exactly, Alan and I set a goal to run our first race that was scheduled in June, an 8K in Moorestown. Some other members of our ward were going for it so we decided to as well. I was never a runner before and was really out of shape. But we did it. I was thrilled that I had accomplished something so difficult and also so amazing. We'd run our first race! I was in better shape than I'd been in a long time. The unfortunate thing about this is we didn't set any new goals even though I knew I needed to in order to keep going. Summer heat hit. Vacation hit. Then school hit and I'd only been out to run again a small handful of times after the race was done.

I'd gone to the gym in the meantime and taken some pretty intense classes. But when vacation in August hit and then school threw my schedule off in September it was hard to keep up the frequency that I'd had. Going once or twice a week and missing weeks. Then first trimester extreme fatigue hit in October and I quit exercising.

Fast forward about 3 months and my energy is coming back and my muscles are screaming for more movement. Last Sunday in sacrament meeting a friend talked about her adventures in running this past year as well having not been a runner before and the goals she set for herself. It was a talk on making goals and improving oneself. A really good talk too. This got me to thinking that I should try to pick it up again. But how, seeing that I'm pregnant and it's generally taboo? This same friend later this week mentioned a half-marathon in a year which of course got my attention. I thought it would be a lot of fun but again, how can I train for it if I'm pregnant? Taboo! I looked at the pace requirements (16 minute mile) and realized that if I go for several brisk walks per week through the next 6 months and then train for running after the baby is born I can easily make those requirements. I would have at least 4 months to run maybe five if I recover quickly. And if I can run even a little bit while pregnant I'll be that much further ahead and I won't have lost everything I gained last year. Plus, I have been wanting to have a more active and fit pregnancy this time around instead of cringing at exercise the whole time like I'd done with my other pregancies. I want to show that I can do it.

Well, I looked into running while pregnant online through a google search and found many encouraging things about it. Turns out running is really good for mom and baby. Baby is leaner and healthier. Mom is the same and has an easier delivery and quicker recovery. Plus the pregnancy weight comes off more easily (we'll test that one for sure). Blood pressure is lower, she's stronger, aiding the delivery and the baby is likely more able to self-calm.
While running the belly doesn't shake as badly as you would think and the baby has plenty of padding. A woman can run until delivery as long as she is comfortable and can use a belly belt for added comfort.

Guidlelines: You should always check with your doctor first. I haven't yet but will mention it at my next appointment in a couple weeks.
Pay attention to how you feel. Any pain and you should stop. If you feel good then keep going but don't push too hard. You likely won't be able to do as much as you had in the past. You should drop your pace or drop your distance or both.
You shouldn't take this on if you haven't exercised or even run before. Pregnancy is not a good time to start running and really you should be running regularly already. But if you have run before and have the strength and energy for it then give it try always listening to your body. But do exercise even if you haven't exercised before. Your pregnant body needs exercise. (Mine certainly does and has been screaming for it).

So, definitely encouraging. Do I qualify as having been running? I know it's been a while and I kept up on exercise otherwise except for September until now. Can I still try it? How much can I run or have I lost everything?

Well this morning I tried it. I had some energy and also will power to get myself dressed and out into the cold air. Thankfully it wasn't too bad out. I could run in long sleeves but didn't need a coat or sweatshirt. That helped. A lot. I'm a baby when it comes to running in really cold or really hot weather although I'm more of a baby when it comes to running on the treadmill. It bores me to pieces!

There is a convenient mile route through my neighborhood so I took off running to see how far I could go before I had to stop to walk. I figured I wouldn't be able to run the whole mile. I was right but suprisingly I got further than I thought I would. I managed just over a half mile. Then I had to stop and walk for a few minutes because my lungs and quads were burning. I ran again the last tenth and then some of a mile.

I looked at my stats from a year ago when Alan and I first started. I had a 19:21 pace. Essentially all I could do at the time was walk. I couldn't even jog to the corner. Today, starting again, I had a 13:40 pace. And pregant too! Not bad huh? I think I might be able to do a half marathon in year. That's my hope anyway.

How do I feel now a couple hours after my run? My quads are tired and my lungs have loosened up but that's to be expected pregnant or not. Otherwise I feel petty good. I think I'll keep going.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it! I'm not a doctor... but I did major in exercise and you're right, the benefits are so good for both mom and baby. Start slow. The one and only race I ran was when I was 5 weeks pregnant, it was 8.4 miles. We both survived!

    Congrats on the baby! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete