Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Expired Car Seats...

So I spent my afternoon looking to see if some baby items we have are recalled, you know, just in case. And because I was bored.

Well, in the process I discovered that two of our car seats are expired!

Did you know car seats expire? I'd heard it before but thought it was a ploy from the manufacturers. I mean, mine still look really good!

Turns out though that they do. There are a couple reasons, one being that research and developement is always improving on the safety (and look and comfort) of the car seats.

The other more selling, in my mind, reason is that the plastic, much like a plastic toy left outside, wears down. The extreme heat inside the car in the summer and the cold of winter causes the plastic to become brittle over the years. This can cause damage that you can't see just by looking at the seat. So, an older seat is considerably less safe in an accident.

One thing that can happen is the harness can break away from the shell.

Here's a video that shows that: This is a car seat that is 10 years old.



It's a bit scary actually. I would hope that we never will be in an accident serious enough to cause that but just the same why risk it?

They say not use your car seat after 6 years past it's manufacture date. That should be on a sticker underneath the seat. Many car seats also have the expiration date imprinted in the plastic shell on the back.

Katherine's is 2 1/2 years past it's expiration. Samantha's 2 years past. Unfortunately, I can't graduate Gabby from her booster and move Samantha into it because: a. Gabby is still only 60 lbs and not quite 8 and Samantha isn't yet 40 lbs and can't use Gabby's booster.

So, I guess I'm in the market for a couple car seats. I'm going with new too rather than handed down. I have another up-and-comer that I'd like to have them last through.

So, have you checked your seats lately? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment