Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Relief Society Birthday Cake


Here it is all finished! It's a Neopolitan (strawberry, white, and chocolate layers) frosted with a fluffy white frosting and sprinkled with jumbo rainbow sprinkles.


I made fondant daisies for the top of it. Those were actually kind of a pain. The instructions said to use thinned fondant to glue the wires to the back but I couldn't get my wires to stay in it. So I ended up using balls of fondant to stick the wires through instead. Plus the little petals kept wanting to fall off. The other thing is when I was placing the flowers, I discovered they were too heavy for their wires. So I had to twist more wire around them this morning. Thank goodness I checked before leaving this morning.


A couple things I'm worried about. First, I didn't use a separater plate between layers because it just wasn't looking right. The cakes weren't flat enough. So I used only wooden dowel rods. So I'm worried about the layers sinking too much.


Second, I'd never used the fluffy white frosting before but it gave me the look I was after. The only thing is it's fluffy and a little slippery. So while I was transporting it in my van the layers shifted so that it looked like the leaning tower of cake! I surprised the RS presidency who were at the church in a meeting when I started shaking the cake to one side a little to get it to shift back. Yeah, who shakes a cake? I don't usually.


Needless to say, I'm going to be worried about it all day and can't wait to get back to the church tonight to see if it survived. I'm saying lots of prayers.


But, in all, it turned out pretty cute I have to say! (fingers crossed that it stays cute!)
Update:
Okay, it didn't fall over or fall into itself but by the end of the night it was definitely listing to one side. Oh well. It was still cute and I got some nice compliments on it.
I hated cutting it in front of everyone. It was such a mess. The frosting is kind of like marshmellow cream that hardened a little tiny bit on the outside. That combined with soft cake, minus the seperator plates, it was a little squishy, difficult and really messy to cut. I think also there is a reason wedding cakes are cut in the kitchen... I'm never very good at cutting cake.
Plus, I made way too much. I've never been good at figuring out how much to make either. I have a better idea for next time.
But, Mike was really happy that I brought some home again. I told him he can have all he wants but don't get sick on it.
Mike (and probably my girls in the morning when they see it): mmmm....cake....
Me: ug....cake....

1 comment:

  1. The cake was super cute! I can't even imagine the time that went into those flowers!

    ReplyDelete