Monday, February 9, 2009

New Blog: My Own Small Plates

Just a quick note to say I have created a new blog that I will be doing in addition to this one. It's called My Own Small Plates and those who read this that are members of my church can get the gist from that. I have been needing a good way to do my scripture study because it just wasn't getting done. Something I'd done a couple years ago was to get my laptop out and write my thoughts as I read. It was a great way for me to get into it. I decided to give it another go and thought a blog would be the ticket. So if you are ever interested just pop on over and feel free to comment. It's at jessicataber.blogspot.com and I have a link to it in my bloglist at the left.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to sound like an odd question, but bear with me - does studying the scripture entail going through the same text over and over again, or are there different volumes beyond the basic Book of Mormon. I know for us, once you get past the Torah, there are volumes of laws and commentaries that are all on the required reading list, in addition to more contemporary works that touch on religiously - oriented subjects (i.e not gossiping, home and family stuff, meditations, less formal commentaries, etc) Does this work the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both. And I think it does work the same kind of way as the required reading you have. We are asked to continually study the Book of Mormon and other scripture. Once we've gone through we start again and each time seek for new personal insights. We study in whatever way works for us as an individual and at the time.
    We have in addition to the Book of Mormon: The King James version of the Bible which includes Old and New Testaments, the Doctrine and Covenants which is a modern collection of revelations, and the Pearl of Great Price which is translation from ancient records, some from papyrus and other from revelation, that further supports ancient biblical prophecy. It contains the books of Moses and Abraham.
    Plus we have, like you, more contemporary things like a General Conference of the church twice a year where our prophet and general leaders speak to us. Plus our magazines that contain these talks as well as other articles and stories meant to uplift and promote faith and testimony.

    ReplyDelete