Wednesday, February 18, 2009

That old texture has got to go!

So I've started a new house project. I think maybe nesting instincts are kicking in and knowing that once baby comes it'll be at the very earliest fall before we can get to a project. But I couldn't wait any longer. Our front entry, hall and stairs are in bad need of some TLC. They have this old textured wallpaper that is painted over and just dirty. It is textured paper meant to stay on the wall permanently and painted over. We removed it from the dining room and living room and it was a bear to remove. Plus we gouged our wall board in the process. So this time I thought I'd try sanding. Sanding works. Not as much time is needed overall to sand down the texture as it is to steam, scrape and clean up bits of wallpaper that have dried to the floor not to mention repairing gouged wallboard.

So sanding away that texture is what I am doing now. The only thing is, I have decided to live with the texture in the stairway and hall. I don't have it in me to sand all that wall! My new electric sander looks a lot like an iron. I couldn't help but think, as I sanded away, that I was ironing out those wrinkles in my walls.

When the sanding is done I'll repair the hole on our entry ceiling made when we had to repair a burst pipe and then paint.

This project involves painting the foyer and stairs and hall upstairs. Plus the accent wall in the dining room because it is chocolate brown that is chipping and looks bad. The main color I currently have in the dining room is one I love called Almond Oil (love the name too). I want to carry it into the entry way and hall but I have been thinking it might be a good time to change the whole dining room color too since I have to paint that one wall anyway.

I looked at the Valspar website and created a pallette that I think would work well. Keeping the Almond Oil for the foyer and hall and painting the dining room Chive. The trim is Betsy's Linen. My living room is a muted tealish blue and I think it would all work together well.

My goal is to have this done by Easter. In time to host a family gathering. I would also love to refinish my floors since I have discovered that it would be really easy to do. I just don't know how to do it with kids running around. Would have to have them go away for a long weekend. That may not be feasible before Easter.
I took on this project knowing full well that Alan is super busy and I will be doing this pretty much entirely by myself. I can handle it though. I just hope my energy holds up.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the project. I have so many similar things I need to tackle with my house...just waiting for some motivation. It sounds like it will be really nice once it is all done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I got tired of waiting to be able to do it and tired of looking at it every day. I figured that once baby comes I'll be waiting even more so I might as well do what I can now.

    I can't wait to see it all finished. I do love new paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are ambitious! I wish I was feeling a little more energy and "nesting"! Hopefully it will come, because my house is a disaster.

    ReplyDelete