Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Antenatal check-up

I had my appointment this morning at the Antenatal Unit at the hospital to check the weight of the baby. The last ultrasound had him measuring 4 weeks big. Sure 'nough. This morning's ultrasound confirmed that. Right now they say he is already 7 lbs 5 oz and measuring at 38 weeks instead of 34/35 weeks!

Here are the concerns that came up:

1. With the size of the baby there is concern for delivery in a few weeks and the topic of a possible c-section came up.

2. There is also extra fluid which can, along with the baby's large size, indicate pregnancy diabetes.

Okay, I'm hoping this baby comes early! I do not want a c-section! Plus, he's already nearly as big as Gabby was (7/10) and in two weeks will be nearly as big as Katherine was (8/8) and I don't want to deliver a 9+ lb baby! (Although I know it's been done before.) I'm a little nervous about it all but I have a good doctor so I'm not overly worried. I think I'm more afraid of the c-section than the possible pregnancy diabetes. My glucose test was normal.

Thankfully, I have an appointment to see my doctor tonight. Hopefully I'll learn more about what to expect in the next few weeks. Maybe we could have this baby in a couple weeks? I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment