Thursday, May 28, 2009

Baking a Wedding Cake in a hotel suite…

The main thing that brought us out to Utah early enough to explore was my making my brother’s wedding cake.

To do so I needed to either borrow someone’s kitchen or rent a hotel suite that had a kitchen.

Well, I didn’t want to be in anyone’s way and I’m more comfortable working alone anyway. We had the hotel points available so we rented a suite at a Residence Inn Marriott that had a full kitchen.

It was pretty nice. The oven was full sized and it had a full sized fridge and dishwasher. Not only did I bake wedding cake but I was also able to cook dinner for my family which saved us a trip to a restaurant. And we had plenty of space to store lunch foods for a couple days.

Here is the kitchen where I made Chris’s wedding cake. 2009_0513(012)2009_0513(013)

The only problem with the oven was the bottom rack was twisty tied to the bottom burner and I didn’t discover it until I already had the oven hot and ready to go. So instead of baking two layers at once I had to do one at a time. But it really wasn’t too bad. Alan took the kids out exploring Salt Lake City all day Thursday while I baked and it was a really peaceful day for me.  

This is the living area. It has a sofa bed where the kids slept Wednesday night and Alan and I had our own room off that.

2009_0513(014)

I had planned to frost and assemble the cake on Friday at Alan’s aunt Kathy’s house but those plans fell through and so I frosted it Thursday evening. That was much more of a challenge. It seems more space is needed to frost than to bake because you have to spread (pun intended) things out more.

I made do with the little table but it was slow going. It made for a really late night and the kids ended up sleeping on our bed giving Alan and I the rather uncomfortable sofa bed. But the great thing about it was Alan was able to deliver the cake the next morning and I was able to spend the day at the zoo with my family instead of staying behind to finish the cake. Blessings in disguise…

We stayed at that hotel Wednesday and Thursday nights. We switched to a smaller one on Friday that took up less points for the rest of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment